Today, at the edge of our seats, at the peak of the summer, we have chosen not only believe in giant robots but super sweet monsters. Today there’s not a man or adolescent here that does not want to see this movie. Today we face movies screens with 3D glasses. Today we are watching Pacific Rim!
This is a movie about giant robots beating the crap out of giant monsters. The end.
Just kidding but not really, that’s what you see in the trailer and that’s what you get in the movie as a whole. Most people that I discussed this movie with before it came out said they had no idea what it was actually about. Turns out that’s pretty much it. There’s just enough story here to facilitate the battles between these behemoths. What more do you really need?
This was probably the movie I was most excited to see this summer. Because who doesn’t want to see original sci-fi content? I love comics but we’ve had enough movies based on properties. I didn’t really know what to look forward other than sweet fights. It’s a good thing I didn’t expect much more. The movie is an homage to giant robot anime we all know and love, hitting all the tropes you would encounter in any of the classics. Which is a cool because we’ll probably never get a live action version of any on those.
I’m getting lazy so here are some bullet points!
- The Kaiju designs are great. You can see how much care was put in to the details of these beasts.
- The Jager designs are a bit lackluster but I assume that’s to portray some realism considering the film takes place only a few years in the future.
- Idris Elba gives the best inspirational speech before a final battle since Bill Pullman in Independence Day.
- Upon review Bill Pullman’s speech is better
- I’d watch this again on cable which is more than I can say for Sharknado.
- This movie is like playing with action figures